Friday, December 7, 2012

Beautiful

What a lovely hymn with words so wise.   I love both writing and reading songs and poems and I especially appreciate the ones that can proclaim such monumental truths in a single page.  My soul says yes and amen.

 I have been through the valley of sorrow and weeping 

 I have been through the valley of sorrow and weeping, 
The valley of trouble and pain; 
But the "God of all comfort," the "God of all comfort," 
Was with me to hold and sustain.

 As the earth needs the clouds and the rain with the sunshine,
 Our souls need both sorrow and joy,
 So He places us oft in the fire of affliction 
The dross from the gold to destroy.

 When He leads thru the valleys of trouble and sorrow, 
 His mercy and love there we trace; 
 For the trials and sorrows He sends us in wisdom 
 Are part of His lessons in grace.
 Yet how often we shrink from the purging and pruning, 
Forgetting the Husbandman knows 
That the deeper and closer the cutting and paring,
 The richer the cluster that grows.

 O how well does He know that afflictions are needed; 
He has a wise purpose in view, 
 And within the dark valley He whispers to comfort, 
 "Hereafter thou'lt know what I do." 

 As we travel the pathway thru life's shadowed valleys, 
Fresh springs of His love ever rise; 
And we learn that our troubles, our sorrows and losses, 
 Are blessings just sent in disguise.

 So we'll follow Him faithfully where'er He leadeth, 
The pathway be dreary or bright; 
 For we've proved that our God is the "God of all comfort, 
The God who gives songs in the night.

3 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you are going thru this. I'm sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love this post...and I agree, sometimes the words of old hymns have such profound meaning in such a simple way- they really speak to the soul. Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Casey, so sorry to hear about your recent loss. Amazing how life turns. Just when you think your done taking your 'hits' you get a few more. "That which does not kill you makes you stronger" seems appropriate.
    Hope you and your sweet family are enjoying the holiday spirit. Sometimes I think it's easier to enjoy when you realize loss is just a moment away.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting my blog and sharing your thoughts.