Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Fiesta Biscuit Casserole



I have never been a fan of cooking or anything that pertains to it: recipe hunting, meal planning, ingredient shopping, meal prep, etc.  In fact, I think I would rather scrub a toilet if given the choice.  Yes, I am being serious and no I am not proud of this fact:).

On the other hand, surprisingly, it does bring me great joy to feed my family and our guests in spite of this blaring flaw of mine, so we trudge along with our boring staples year after year.  My poor family. 

The meals that I cook must be easy to prepare, have few ingredients and hopefully taste decent...which isn't always an easy combination to pull off.   I don't have much time but, I do enjoy flavor.
 
Once or twice a week I will try out a new and easy recipe in hopes that we find a magical meal that our entire family enjoys (very difficult!) and then we can add it to our staples.  Last week we made this tasty, Fiesta Biscuit casserole and everyone enjoyed it. I modified it a tad and used a sweet cornbread mix instead of biscuits as I am not a big biscuit fan.  The sweet cornbread created a perfect balance with the salty casserole mix in my opinion.  I also put the cheese on top of the casserole only for the last five minutes that it cooked in the oven.  This kept the cheese from getting crunchy and instead kept it soft and melted...the way our family prefers it. 

There are so many ways that this casserole can be modified to suit your taste buds.  That's why I like it!

So, if you are like me and you desperately need simple meals to feed your family...This is an easy and hearty, fall recipe addition for anyone that enjoys a southern style casserole. 

You can find the link to the recipe here

or simply follow these super easy instructions.
Prep time: 15 min Cook time: 25 min Servings: 6
  • 1 ½ lb ground beef
  • 1 can (10 oz) diced tomatoes with green chilies
  • 2 cups corn
  • 2 cans (15–16 oz) ranch style beans
  • 1½ cups shredded cheddar
  • 2 cups biscuit baking mix
  • ½ cup water

Preparation

  1. Preheat oven to 375° F.
  2. Cook ground beef and tomatoes in large skillet until beef is browned.
  3. Mix in corn, beans, and ½ cup of the cheese.
  4. Pour mixture into casserole dish.
  5. Combine baking mix and water in a medium bowl, and pour over the meat/bean mixture.
  6. Top with remaining cheese and bake for 25 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for visiting my blog and sharing your thoughts.