Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Change is in the Air

I have always been sensitive to the breeze that begins blowing weeks before fall is officially here. It may sound weird but the air will sometimes even smell different and the sun seems less harsh. I tell my husband every year, "It's almost here babe. Fall is on it's way!" He always laughs and probably thinks I'm crazy but, within a few days he agrees that the season has begun to change. Last week I stepped outside on my lunch break, turned my face up to the sky and let the suns rays, warm me to my core. It was a perfect warmth that kicked the chill away and left me feeling relaxed and calm. I took a deep breath as the wind whistled by me and whisked through my hair. It felt like Heaven for lack of a better word. Can any of you relate?

Summer is great. I love the opportunity to get house and yard projects done, have family visits, travel, enjoy the warm nights, movies in the park and BBQ's outside with friends etc. Somehow, by the end of Summer however; I can tend to feel a bit dry, metaphorically speaking. Dry spiritually, relationally and emotionally. The Pastor of the Calvary Chapel that we attended in CA for several years once told me that Summers often get people out of whack and out of sorts because the routine is so inconsistent and for many church goers such as myself we are often not able to get to church as much because we are out of town or have something going on. As a result we don't get much soul food or fellowship and we can get of course. He encouraged me to not lose sight of keeping Christ at the center of my life even in the off seasons and that has always stuck with me. Jesus is my rock, my strength, my refuge, my peace, my direction, my sounding board, my comforter and friend. When I fall out of sync with Him, everything else in my life feels off as well.

All that being said, with this weather change I feel my dry soul drinking in every whisper as I read my bible, fellowship with friends or spend time in prayer. I am reminded to serve my husband and to make extra effort to show him how much he means to me. We've been together for quite a while now. It's easy to forget to spoil a spouse, to flirt, to date and to invest in each other when the daily grind gets the best of us. I'm reminded to wake up with a song of joy and praise in my mouth, to honor the Lord in all that I do (I will be a work in progress until the day I die), to try and use my time more wisely and to be more productive with my free time and to rest when I can so that I am refreshed for what the next day might throw at me. I can feel the dry scales flaking off and the blood kicking in my veins again. It's a beautiful and refreshing feeling! If I were to sum up my life with a song (also a bible verse) this is what it would say, "This is the day that the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad in it!"

Side note: I'm not depressed, having a bad day or wallowing so please don't worry or wonder about me:-). I simply decided that I would bounce back into blogging and give you all a little peak into the things I am chewing on these days.

Do the changing seasons ever stir you in some way? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

"So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
"
Isaiah 41:10

12 comments:

  1. This is a timely post for me to read...yes, the changing seasons (in fact, currently many changes & transitions) do stir me. I find I need to steady myself with God's promises, and also the hear from His people and He's doing in their lives. I love what you shared and how you said you can feel the dry scales flaking off and the blood kicking in your veins again. What a beautiful way to put it. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is wonderful. Thanks for posting it. We need to get back into a routine of going to church. I miss it and my soul feels dry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops...correcting some typos. I meant to say, "and also to hear from His people and what He's doing in their lives." LOL. Much blessings as you bounce back into blogging! I'm bouncing back along with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. soooooo good, really, sooooo good! Those dry times come and then the refreshing and it feels so good.And I am glad you are remembering....to love that man of yours in a fresh way too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. love you casey...I to enjoy the fall as it is a "new" beginning of sorts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I absolutely loved, "I feel my dry soul drinking in every whisper as I read my bible." So beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the changing of the season - particularly leaving summer behind and welcoming the fall. (The summer heat & humidity in Houston is bad when you have migraines like I do...)

    I agree wholeheartedly what you said about forgetting to spoil, flirt, etc with your spouse. Lately that is something I've been thinking a lot about. This is the man I dated & had long phone conversations with and received love letters from and I find that we tend to forget that as the years go by - forget that this was our choice when we get bogged down in the daily chores of life and parenthood.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There was nothing in this post that translated to you being down. I read it with the idea of peace and adoration for God and LIFE.

    Fall has always been my favorite season. I love the air, the smells, the colors, the temperatures. I love sweatshirt weather and needed to get cozy to keep warm. This fall has been difficult for me but I am trying to give thanks for all of it, including the stress. I am overwhelmed and often feel like life is out of control but at least I feel ALIVE!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love autumn, it is by far my favorite season and I believe I'm happier when it comes around. No longer living in the midwest I don't experience it as much but still appreciate the taste I do get living in the west.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for visiting my blog today. I added your site to the list I follow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loooove this post! I promised that when school started for my kids, I would start each morning (when the baby nap) with my Bible time. Overall, I have failed miserably! It's funny how I have an hour or more on the computer, but can't find 15 minutes in the Word. I even thought of posting a chart that my kids could see, to hold me accountable. Not fun to explain to your kids why all your days on the calendar are blank! I really have to do better. Thank you for the reminder! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. The beginning of every season I see as an opportunity to begin a new. We get so bogged down in our daily routine that it is so sad that we often forget to include God. This post has reminded me of the fact that as summer ends my family needs to get back in the routine of giving God thanks first for all He has done. Thanks for the reminder. What an inspiring post. God truly used you!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting my blog and sharing your thoughts.