Thursday, September 23, 2010

Katy Perry and Sesame Street

Have you all seen the video circulating with Katy Perry singing a song with Elmo on Sesame Street? It's receiving wide spread media attention because Sesame street decided to pull the video after a lot of parents complained that Katy Perry was not dressed appropriately enough to be on the show. I've scoped out some of the reader comments on various news networks and was rather surprised by what I read to be honest. There were points on both sides as there always is but it seemed that there were more people furious that Sesame Street could be so stupid as many put it. What are your thoughts on this subject? I am open to hearing what you have to say even if your opinion is different than mine so share away:). To be truthful I am glad the video was pulled and if my daughter was old enough to watch Sesame Street and be interested, I'd probably be one of the parents who complained. Yes, I know what you are thinking, I'm one of those people. I realize that Katy's cleavage bearing top would hardly phase most people in the overexposed world we now live in but, I will stand firm on the fact that I don't need my little ones eyes being bombarded by that kind of stuff especially since I wouldn't want her dressing like that ever anyways! . I'm old fashioned, I'm conservative, I'm boring, I'm blah. Yes, all of these might be true by today's standards but, I so badly want my child to be a child and not to act like she is 16 when she is 4. Hot Topic right:). lol. Thoughts? For or against, share away.

8 comments:

  1. Casey, I was not impressed with her outfit. I'm sure there are very young kids (under 4) that watch that show and there was no need for her to dress that way. If she wanted the media attention she got it. Regardless I'm sure kids see worse things on TV as their parents watch whatever show but knowingly putting on a very bare dress for a young children's show is a little too much. Great question!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't see the outfit so I can't really comment, but I 100% agree that I want my daughter to only be exposed to age appropriate media. I don't want her growing up too fast and dressing too old or wearing makeup before it's time. All of that will come too soon as it is, w/out a preschool program trying to get her there any faster!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that the outfit was inappropriate for Sesame street. It's one thing if she wears something like that for MTV or another show, but Sesame street is for young children. I especially just think of the young boys who would watch it. Even at a young age they can still experience "those feelings" and although they probably would be completely naive about it- kids are just so impressionable and its not something you want to expose them to at such a young age before they are mature enough to comprehend it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Preach it sister! "I'm old fashioned, I'm conservative, I'm boring, I'm blah." That's my anthem, and I'm proud of it! I totally was proud for people actually making a stand for integrity. I'm glad Brayden watches the old school Sesame Streets because they were all around better back then. But wow, our culture made a stand AGAINST scantily clad women in the media...there's still hope!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't see the video (we don't watch cable) but this is something that I wouldn't want my dd or boys to see. I don't even buy from Victoria Secret anymore because of all their ads. I have five boys and they don't need to see that much skin.
    Okay, sorry, I got of the Seame Street thing ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow! I didn't see that...and I would have definitely thought it was inappropriate for youngsters! Older kids as well. My boys are always walking thru the room while Livia is watching it, and they don't need to be filling their minds with that either. Yuck!

    Thank you so much for your sweet comment on my blog this morning - that was a HUGE compliment! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So inappropriate for a kids show! Absolutely ridiculous! After that and some other things that have gone down on Sesame Street we will not be watching it around here. We are a Veggie Tales family. Well and Monster Trucks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. People are going crazy over nothing. In every other developed country the human body is not something to ashamed of. Everyone is beautiful and the fact that Katy who was not even showing that much skin to begin with, shows what is wrong with this country and how conservatives are bringing this country down.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting my blog and sharing your thoughts.