Thursday, September 23, 2010

Episode #2

We've now had a second episode with Daisy and this mysterious choking breathing problem. We went to Wall-Mart tonight to buy some groceries and Daisy was 100% fine other than being tired. When we were done we put her in her car seat and I sat in the front while Joey loaded the groceries. Daisy was fine and was playing with a plastic bottle in the back. Joey got in and turned on the car, backed up and all of a sudden out of no where I heard that same heart stopping noise that is so distinct and awful coming out of Daisy's mouth in the back seat. My heart stopped or rather I should say, began pounding a million miles a minute, my body went into full panic mode, I flew my car door open, (yes, there was a car behind us but they understood I'm sure), threw Daisy's car door open and struggled with my shaking hands to unbuckle her straps (it took far longer than it should have because I was so upset) and pulled Daisy out and began smacking her back again. She had the same tear soaked face, snot everywhere, bright red/pink face and a look of terror in her eyes. Oh my gosh, I'm sorry to be so dramatic and descriptive but, it's just the most awful feeling in the world as a parent to see your child in that state. Same as last time as soon as it began it was over and Daisy began crying, coughing, burped and had lots of phlegm in her throat after wards. I held her while I paced around the parking lot for a while. Joey was right by my side the entire time for the record I just happened to be on the side of the car that was closest to her so I got to her faster but, he saw and heard everything. These episodes seem to really tire Daisy out as she always seems so exhausted after. The difference between this episode and the last was that Joey was there to witness it. I no longer felt crazy like I was exaggerating to people or making something up. I now have a witness and that feels SO good. We called the pediatrician since we were debating on going to the ER. The ped. said to buy a humidifier, saline drops and to keep her with us for a while at night so we can hear her better. She said it sounds like it is most likely severe reflux which is extremely unusual for a baby Daisy's age and for a baby eating solids. Daisy has been throwing up more since eating solids than she did before eating them and that is also unusual. It is also possible that a food allergy is to blame though that is by no means factual at this point. All we can do is wait and pray and on that note...I'm asking for your prayers. Truly, we welcome your prayers for Daisy as I believe more than anything that prayer is powerful and that God hears our cries and He will take care of Daisy. I feel in my heart that this will pass and hope that it is in fact a reflux issue which they should be able to prescribe something for and she will out grown it soon. I just want to make sure my baby is okay and at this point I won't be able to sleep much or let her out of my sight until I know she is past this. Oh how it hurts my heart. :-(

16 comments:

  1. I know how frustrating and helpless you must feel. For 4 years now we have been dealing with a chronic cough with my oldest daughter. I actually took her to a third doctor today and we were told it's a combination of allergies/asthma/and acid reflux and got $600 in perscriptions - all worth it if it helps her! Anyway, it has been very hard not knowing what's exactly wrong and what to do about it, but I know God is good and in control. I don't understand why it has taken so long to figure out what is wrong and how to handle her chronic cough, but I'm leaning not on my own understanding. I admire your faith through these epidsodes you're having with Daisy and can't imagine how scary these epidsodes must be for you. I'm adding you and Daisy to my prayer list!
    Big Fat Mama

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will be praying for you three!
    Sounds like it might just be a bad case of reflux, I know Adrienne had reflux when she was just a few weeks old and would throw up so much and it scared me so much.

    So just hang in there, keep you're head up high and try not to worry.

    :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh!! How scary!! I will pray for you guys! Kingston did that twice too just like it happened to you. Except he stuck things in his mouth too choke on.

    I feel you on this. The feeling you get when you hear that noise is the worst. That noise is the worst everything about it is awful! You are a super mom *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  4. praying for you. Can't imagine how frightening that is! Love, The Fishers

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Casey! I'm praying for little Daisy and for you and Joey.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Casey, I am praying but I just keep thinking maybe they need to be doing some more testing on her...to leave it in the air like that and not have a definitive answer. When I went thru this near sids thing with Layton it's like after the episode is over you, like you said almost talk yourself down, like over reaction, could be this could be that. I am praying that the Lord touches her and that you will be able to get peace by it. I am so sorry, you are such a great momma...keep up close to what is going on ok?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know how scary that is. My daughter used to choke on Cheerios. What baby chokes on Cheerios? They are baby staples!! She turned blue once. As an EMT...be sure to take CPR and refresh annually or bi-annually and don't forget the power of the nose-sucker!!! If slapping her on the back while her head is lower than her butt doesn't work, use the nose-sucker to suction the phelgm outta her mouth. Works like a charm. In a pinch a turkey baster does well too! Keep one in the diaper bag!

    You are an excellent Mommy! You are so observant of her and she is so lucky she has someone who is so attentive!

    Now, as a Christian...

    Dear God,
    Please keep Daisy in Your loving care. Please continue to provide Casey and Joey with the intuition only a parent can possess. Please restore Daisy's belly problems so that she does not need to suffer. Please, Dear God, hear my prayer that You protect Daisy and keep her safe at all times so that Casey and Joey do not put their own lives at risk by excessive worrying and lack of sleep. Lastly, God, please encourage Casey and Joey to hand their worries over to You who does all things well. In Jesus' name, Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is so frightening! I am sorry you had to go through this a couple of times. I had something similar with my daughter when she was about a year old. Out of nowhere she turned blue and started choking. She was right in front of me and had not put anything in her mouth. We were shopping and she was in front of me in the shopping cart. I flipped out! Another mom came over and said that she probably swallowed wrong. I don't know and it scared me so much. It happened a couple of times and then never happened again. I hope that you do not have to go through this again.

    Mama Hen

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so sorry. That is really scary. I hope that you can figure out what is causing it. Praying it won't happen again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh G_d, that is frightening! You did the right thing with your reactions. My heart is beating fast now after reading it. If you do think its allergies producing the phlegm, make her drink tons of water throughout the day to help with the phlegm. Also, maybe giving her phlegm textured food to help her learn to swallow harder may help her.

    Sending a shout out to the big guy upstairs for you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Praying fervently for you all. Please keep us updated!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So sorry you have to deal with that! I'll be praying!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my goodness, I'm so sorry you had to go through this. What a frightening thing to see your child struggle like that, and you not know what's going on...I'm glad you received a lot of prayer support and practical advice! And glad Daisy is doing a lot better! You're such an caring, attentive momma :) Hope you're having a great weekend and getting some rest after all the drama.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Casey, I'm so sorry to hear about your frightening experience #2. Many prayers for you my friend.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting my blog and sharing your thoughts.